Tuesday, February 23, 2010

2/23

No more sleeping in that tent! I made it. I should hardly complain, I had the Bentley of tents but my aching back. So last night was exceptionally windy, I hardly slept at all. Apparently there were two tremors last night which I didn't feel but given that I probably could've slept through the quake itself I'm not the most reliable accountant.
Well we just finished operating. We had a stump closure on a lady we've been doing dressing changes all week long and also skin grafting on her. It was nice to be able to close her before we left. I think team one might have actually done her initial amputation. We also had a dressing change but finished by 930 and even got breakfast for the second day in a row. Some funny looking cornmeal slop- not bad! It's funny how your standards reacclimate.
Today we will take the 6 hr bus ride back to santa domingo where Hauck and Dan Hammon our orthopod are treating us to a night of luxury- a hotel room at the Marriot! Totally unnecessary but much appreciated:) We all can't wait to get a shower. The border is pretty sketchy so I'm not really looking forward to making that journey across again. I'm sure it will be fine.
I have to go around and say goodbye to some of my patients who I will truly miss. I sort of feel like we are abandoning them but I know that next group is more than capable of picking up where we will have left off. Some of our team- including our great nurse anesthetist, Craig, and our OpSmile coordinator, Ana, and our anesthesiologist, Niels, are staying for a few more days to ease the transition of the incoming group. It should really smooth things out for the next group. I guess that's all for now. What an incredible journey this has been.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Noel for sharing all of your stories with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Noey...thank you for sharing you experience with everyone! Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow! Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete

  3. الخدمات المنزلية بمدينة الدمام 0551844053 شركة تاج لخدمات التنظيف المنزلية وخدمة تسليك المجاري شركة تسليك مجارى بالدمامومكافحة الحشرات بالدمام
    وتشمل تنظيف المنازل والفلل والشقق وتنظيف السجاد والخزانات قسم خاص لاعمال الكهرباء والسباكة ومكافحة الحشرات ومكافحة النمل
    الابيض ورش الدفان بالدمام ارخص شركة تسليك مجارى بالدمام
    شركات تسليك مجارى بالدمام
    شركة مكافحة حشرات بالدمام
    شركة تسليك مجارى بالخبر
    شركة تسليك مجارى بالاحساء





    ReplyDelete