More from Shane Johnson (plastic hand surgeon) via his wife Cynthia Chuang:
I spoke with Shane around 8pm tonight. He said that what he has seen so far in Haiti is incredible. He has never seen such poverty. People just wandering around with pathetic shacks for homes. They are sleeping on a cement pad, and assured me that they have their mosquito nets set up. He said the orphanage compound is rather large--many acres. He says its a little scary, but he's feeling confident that they will be able to start helping the Haitian people soon. He's pretty happy with this place they have found, he thinks it will be a safe and effective home base. I asked him how everyone's spirits were, he said that everyone is geared up to do what they went there to do, but there is a sense of "what did I get myself into." But he's confident that they will all get accustomed soon. The phone connection was as clear as a bell.
Monday, January 25, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Pauline,
ReplyDeleteI work at Operation Smile and am following the work of the team in Haiti as well. We have a Haiti blog up on OpSmile's website www.operationsmile.org/haiti/ and I've also been promoting the blogs on Twitter and Facebook to keep our supporters updated in as real time as possible.
Would you mind if I followed your blog and re-posted some of your blogs to Operation Smile's website and Haiti blog?
Just let me know - kkastrounis@operationsmile.org - Thanks!
Kristi
Pauline,
ReplyDeleteI spoke with Ami Willenbecher a few times today. She says they are doing well. Trying to get the "hospital" set up. They are using a few rooms in the orphanage for their work. Possibly going to try doing a few surgeries today if they can get things up and running. Sounds like everyone is doing well though!
My e-mail is terryfoust@yahoo.com. If you e-mail me I could send you the updates to you when I talk with Ami if you like!